Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Paul the Gentleman

Earlier this week I finished reading through the book of Acts. I've read through this incredible book many times, but something struck me this time through the book. I'm curious if this is maybe just me seeing something that's not there or if it's something that is there that I've never caught onto before.


It seems to me that Paul was a gentleman when it came to his evangelistic approach. This thought goes against 90% of the mental images that have often come to mind regarding Paul, but I realize that those mental images are largely formed by things that I've heard in sermons or teachings on Paul. I've always pictured Paul as a roughneck type of character. I mean, let's face it, the guy had to be tough. He survived beatings, stonings, a snakebite and a major shipwreck. Maybe it's this tough guy characterization that has made me think of him as anything but a gentleman.

While it's true that Paul had no qualms about going toe to toe with the Jewish religious leaders of the day, let's also remember some of the more subtle things that characterize Paul throughout the book of Acts. Before his conversion on the Damascus Road, he was a well respected religious leader himself. Paul refers to himself as a 'pharisee of pharisees' at one point. This tells us that he was an educated man and was most likely very well spoken. We also see that he constantly earned the respect of those holding him prisoner all the way up the political ladder to Rome. Paul also addressed people from where they were. He never comes off (at least in my opinion) as haughty or brash when it comes to presenting the gospel. His sermon on Mars Hill where he brings up the monument to the 'unknown god' is a great example of this. Paul is arguably the greatest missionary to ever live and people were being converted every where that he went. I don't think you have that level of success without knowing how to talk to and treat people in a manner that earns their respect.

So what's the point? How many times do we make it impossible for someone to even consider Christianity by our words or by our actions? I'm not suggesting in any way that we water down the message of Jesus to make it less offensive to those who don't believe. Is it possible, though, that maybe we should change our delivery method so as not to come off as haughty, brash, condescending, or even worse, ignorant to the very people who so desperately need to meet Jesus? What do you think?

No comments: