Monday, December 8, 2014

Adoption Saved My Life


I know what you're thinking. Beth and I have not adopted any children. You're right. We haven't. That doesn't mean that I haven't been blessed beyond measure by the act of adoption.

I really started thinking about this subject last month when our church was taken through a series on adoption by our executive pastor, Chuck Mayo. The very first sermon was tagged with the verse in the image at the top of the blog. I've read that verse countless times, but something clicked this time as I read the words, 'I will not leave you orphans.' We are told in scripture to meditate on God's Word and throughout November I spent a lot of timing on this topic.

Well then, rehearsals for Christmas at Northwood ramped up and for the first time I heard the script in its entirety. The theme was 'Five Gifts of Christmas.' Those gifts were (and I hope I'm not blowing this) Jesus, grace, reconciliation, adoption, and expectancy. There's that word 'adoption' again. Seems like I couldn't get away from it.

Fast forward to Sunday morning worship. In his first Christmas sermon, our interim pastor, Tim Tew, went to this passage in Galatians.
When the time came to completion, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying 'Abba, Father!' So you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God. - Galatians 4:4-7 HCSB

There it was in black and white. God's gift of Jesus meant that I could receive the gift of adoption. I think that a historical understanding of adoption will help us to understand the impact of this amazing gift. When someone was adopted, everything about their former life was erased. EVERYTHING! That means that debts were cancelled, inheritances were forfeited, and any other ties to their previous family were severed completely with no trace of them remaining. They were considered from the moment of adoption a full fledged son or daughter of their new family and were privy to any and all rights associated with that title. They were heirs!

Isn't this what salvation is really all about? Our old, sinful way of life is executed and our new life in Christ begins. This life in Him allows us to become children of the Almighty. A relationship so intimate that we can cry out 'Daddy!' to the Creator of the universe. So often we come to God with all of our learned traditions of prayer. What God really wants to hear us say is, 'Daddy, I need You.' It's as simple as that.

As you celebrate the birth of Jesus during this season, let's remember to celebrate the gift of adoption that is made possible by the incarnation of Jesus Christ. If we accept His gift of salvation, we are God's children. Our inheritance awaits us in Heaven. It doesn't get much cooler than that.

So you see yet another unexpected blessing I received by being a part of Christmas at Northwood. The lesson for me started with a sermon at the beginning of November, was reinforced through a Christmas production, and was wrapped up with a bow by a point in a Christmas sermon yesterday. I'm so glad that God doesn't stop teaching me things. Every truth that I come across takes on deeper meaning with each new lesson from the greatest Teacher.

No comments: