Sunday, December 21, 2014

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (Movie Edition)

Christmas is one of my absolute favorite times of the year for obvious reasons. Celebrating the birth of our Savior, spending time with family, enjoying Christmas music, and rushing around to various parties and programs are all part of this special time of year. Another aspect of this time of year that I thoroughly enjoy is watching Christmas movies. I thought it might be fun to put together a list of some of my all time favorite Christmas movies. Feel free to comment with any that you enjoy that I didn't include in my list. Here we go.

10. Miracle on 34th Street - While the 1994 version is pretty good, it doesn't compare with the original. I remember watching this one every Thanksgiving immediately after the Macy's parade on NBC.



9. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - It's just not Christmas around our house until we've watched this classic.



8. Home Alone - Sticking with the comedic theme for right now, I still remember being almost unable to breathe as a kid in the theater the first time I saw Kevin McAllister outwit the Wet Bandits.



7. A Charlie Brown Christmas - OK, it's not technically a movie as this was a 30 minute television special, but there aren't many Christmas movies that so honestly tell the real meaning of Christmas.



6. The Nativity Story In a day and age where Hollywood has butchered Biblical stories, here's one they got right.



5. The Year Without A Santa Clause Because what's Christmas without the Meiser Brothers



4. The Muppet Christmas Carol I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for the Muppets and while I never thought that any version of Dickens' tale would surpass Mickey's Christmas Carol, this one does.



3. Elf Who doesn't enjoy Will Ferrel as Buddy the Elf



2. It's A Wonderful Life It's hard to not have this movie in my top spot, but while it is most certainly an all time classic, there is one that surpasses it for me. If you haven't seen it, it is most definitely a must see.



1. White Christmas Maybe it's the music, maybe it's the dance numbers, or maybe it's that iconic version of 'White Christmas' that concludes this movie. This is my favorite Christmas movie of all time.


No comments: