Thursday, December 11, 2014

Just For Fun

If you know anything at all about me, you know how much of a part of my life music is. My tastes in music are incredibly eclectic. I thought it might be fun to show you some of my favorite pieces of music from a wide variety of music. So, let's get started.

1. Toto - Rosanna



I'm a drummer. Any drummer worth their salt knows this infamous groove by the late, great Jeff Porcaro. The funny thing about this groove to me is the simple fact that absolutely no one can make this groove the way that Jeff could. It's a classic!

2. Sting - Seven Days



This is another drummer's indulgence. Vinnie Colaiuta on drums is simply a master making this 5/8 meter just simply groove effortlessly.

3. Paul Simon - 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover



While most know this song for the catchy chorus, for me it's the groove of the verses laid down by Steve Gadd that make this song one that I can never get enough of. So good.

Alright, now I'm gonna leave my drummer indulgences because I could put up video after video. Now get ready for a whirlwind trip of genres.

4. Petra - Creed



Of the 'modern' Petra songs, this is by far my favorite. I will never forget the disappointment when I saw them right after John Lawry (keyboards) had left the group and the intro played by new keyboardist Jim Cooper wasn't even recognizable. Here it is as it was meant to be.

5. Petra - Road To Zion



I can't mention the 'modern' era of Petra without bringing in this classic from the Greg X Volz years of Petra. Not only are the lyrics amazing, the harmonies are so tight.

6. Les Miserables - Empty Chairs at Empty Tables



Yes, I love musicals. This is easily my favorite song from one of the best loved musicals of all time sung by Michael Ball. So much more powerful than the Nick Jonas version.

7. Wicked - Defying Gravity



Before she was singing 'Let it Go' as Elsa, Idina Menzel was belting out 'Defying Gravity' as Elpheba in Wicked. This is my favorite musical and this song is just ridiculous with Idina singing it.

8. Verdi - Dies Irae



I fell in love with this piece from Verdi's Requiem when I had to learn it for a conducting assignment in graduate school. Few classical works can match the sheer intensity in this piece.

9. Dave Weckl and the Buddy Rich Big Band - Mercy Mercy Mercy



What can I say except that I love the way this piece grooves along. I closed my senior recital playing this piece with a jazz band. Love it!

10. Pentatonix - Stuck Like Glue



A capella music is gaining a little bit of mainstream traction in large part to groups like Pentatonix. I could have pretty much posted anything they've done, but this was an early performance on NBC's The Sing Off that really got my attention.

11. Straight No Chaser - 12 Days of Christmas



Before Pentatonix, these guys were already a YouTube sensation largely because of this arrangement. Love the 'Africa' section at the end.

12. U2 - Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For



The most influential band of my generation. Period. Love this arrangement.




So that's just a small sampling of some of the music that I just can't get enough of. Maybe I'll revisit this topic and share some more. I hope you enjoyed checking some of these out.

What are some of the songs that you can't get enough of? Let me know in the comments section!

No comments: