Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Thankful For Memories

There has not been much sleep for me since about 2:15 AM. My phone rang. I knew before I answered what it was. We had been anticipating this phone call for a couple of days, but no amount of 'preparedness' takes away the absolute punch in the gut I felt when my dad said the words, "Pappy's gone." It's been some 7 hours since I got the call. I haven't cried yet. I have a feeling that this bottle of emotions is going to come flooding out once I get to Maryland.

Now both of my grandparents on my mom's side are gone. I am left with 35 years of memories of Pappy and I am so thankful for those memories. Since moving to South Carolina I've only been able to see Pappy at most 1 time per year. The hardest part has been with only seeing him once a year, each time I've seen him the past several year I've been able to really see the gradual deterioration of his health. Because of that, I choose to remember happier times. Here are some of my fondest memories of Vestal Yelton (Pappy).

1. Christmas Eve at Mamaw and Pappy's was a highlight for us every year. Roughly 17-20 of us crammed into their house for dinner and gift exchange. I can still here his voice as everyone would enter the house, he would let out a resounding, 'Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas!' During the gift exchange, everyone wanted to sit in Pappy's recliner. The only way to get that seat was to convince whoever was seated there that they had a phone call (obviously pre-cell phone days). It wasn't often that someone fell for it, but when they did, it was priceless. This became the running joke year after year even though no one was falling for it (except on the occasion that one of the grandkids had a fiance or spouse that had not experienced Christmas Eve with our family). What I wouldn't give for one more Christmas Eve with the whole family there.

2. I remember walking back through the woods with Pappy to fish (although we never caught anything) in Liberty Reservoir. For me, I enjoyed throwing rocks in the reservoir more than the fishing, but I really think that it was about the time with Pappy.

3. I remember our yearly family camping trips to Granite Hill in Gettysburg. There was something unreal about watching Pappy come down their waterslide head-first on that foam mat.

4. I remember that when you would tell him you loved him, his response would without fail be, 'I do you too.' He had a hard time verbalizing love, but those of us who were fortunate enough to call him Dad or Pappy knew that he loved us.

5. Lastly, I remember all too vividly the devastated husband weeping over his wife's casket in 1997. He was never truly happy since she died and we all knew it. I am comforted in knowing that early this morning for the first time in over 17 years, he saw Carrie Yelton as he has never seen her before. More importantly than that, he saw for the first time face to face, his Savior.

I will miss him greatly, but I know that he is no longer suffering. His mind is clear and his heavenly body is perfect.

Until I see you again, I love you Pappy! And I know that you do me too. See you over there.

*BTW - here come the tears.

No comments: