Friday, February 6, 2015

Do We Like To Be Offended?

It's a serious question. Is there some underlying reason that we are so quick to play the 'I'm offended' card as soon as someone says or does something that we don't like? I'm actually starting to think that maybe, to some extent, we do. Before you write me off (or get offended) please here me out. Let me draw from a recent online encounter that I had.

Is this really controversial?

The above link is to a blog post from a very good friend of ours. She posted this and a firestorm broke out on her personal Facebook page. She was called careless because some took offense to the blog (particular the part about women's ministry). I was absolutely floored at the level of offense that took place over this simple blog post.

Now. I am not here to talk about her blog. I have my opinions, but that isn't what this is about (especially since I am a man and these were women sensitive topics). This is about how easily some people are offended (particularly in the church).

What do we get offended about in church? There's the obvious thing....heresy. This should not only offend but most likely cause us to seek another church to be a part of if when confronted the heresy is not dealt with. We are offended by the style of music. We are offended by hard teaching that is sound doctrine when measured against scripture. We are offended when our pre-conceived notion of doctrine is challenged. We are offended when someone doesn't smile when they walk past us. We are offended at how someone dresses. You get the point....we are offended by a lot of things when in reality, heresy may be the only valid thing on the list to take offense at. Why do we seek offense?

I have a theory and it's simple speculation on my part, but here it is. Claiming offense gives us a reason to not examine ourselves. It points the blame towards the person or thing that offends and moves the spotlight away from us as individuals. Culture has been inundated with a philosophy that we have a right to not be offended. Sorry, but that's hogwash.

Jesus offended. A prime example is at the end of John 6. This is the infamous 'eat my flesh and drink my blood' incident. So many of His followers turned away at this saying that Jesus asked his closest friends, his disciples, if they were going to leave too. This wasn't the only time He offended, but it is certainly one of the most memorable.

Now, I know what some of you are saying right now. That was Jesus. He did nothing wrong so it was ok for him to be offensive. With that being said, let's go farther into New Testament writings. Particularly those of Paul and James.

There are so many controversial passages in Paul's writings that it's impossible to pick one. But if you need to be convinced, read Romans 1, and I Corinthians 12 and 14 and see how it would be easily to take offense at his writings. Then let's move ahead and read the book of James. We all probably take offense to what he has to say about the tongue.

Our propensity for being offended is probably one of the biggest reasons that there is so much fighting inside the four walls of the church.  That in-fighting is one of the biggest turn-offs that non-believers have with regard to the church.  Can we not step back for a minute and realize that our personal offense is just that in most cases....personal? Sometimes we would be much better served to internalize the offense and use it for self evaluation instead of using it to tear down or destroy someone else.

In fact, I personally like it when a pastor says something that makes me double take and ask if that's what he just said.  It forces me to go back and examine the scripture even more and that is healthy.  So that being said, unless there is all out heresy involved, can we just take a chill pill and quit being so easily offended.

1 comment:

Beth Ehlert said...

Beautifully articulated!